A Proud History
Holy Cross High School was formed in July, 2007, after a Diocesan study recommended the merger of Bishop Hannan High School, Scranton and Bishop O’Hara High School, Dunmore. The two campus sites remained open during the 2007-2008 year. In August 2008, after completing renovations at the Dunmore site, a unified Holy Cross High School opened its doors.St. Cecilia Academy, founded in 1872, is considered the forerunner of St. Peter Elementary School and Cathedral High School, which was established in 1958 by Bishop Jerome D. Hannan. In 1969, St. Paul High School and Holy Rosary High School consolidated with Cathedral High School, and the school’s name was changed to Bishop Hannan High School. Further mergers occurred in 1971 when Marywood Seminary was devastated by fire, and in 1974 when West Scranton Central Catholic High School joined Bishop Hannan High School. Another merger took place in 1982 when Bishop Klonowski High School joined Bishop Hannan High School. Bishop Hannan High School then became the only Diocesan high school in the City of Scranton.
Dunmore Central Catholic High School opened in the fall of 1964 following a successful pledge drive by the parishioners of five parishes in Dunmore: All Saints, St. Anthony of Padua, St. Casimir, St. Mary of Mount Carmel, and St. Rocco. The first class was graduated in June, 1968. Four years later, citing the increasing enrollment of students from the Mid-Valley and Valley View School Districts, Bishop J. Carroll McCormick, D.D., Bishop of Scranton, expanded centralization of the school. Nineteen parishes were added to the list of those supporting and participating in the school. At the same time, the school’s name was changed to Bishop O’Hara High School in honor of Bishop William O’Hara, the first bishop of the Diocese of Scranton.